top of page

Week 9-10

This week we have almost finished with the video and have really started putting in the last touches and adjustments. We plan to render in 4k resolution.

The feedback from the presentation this week is mainly about focus. Some elements such as depth of field, motion blur, and vignette can help to highlight the subject. Therefore I will adjust in Nuke, and also add some atmosphere for shot 5.

I was responsible for delivery including compositing and color grading, so this will be a busy week.

Shot 1

Maria changed the material, rendered it, and sent it to me. I will add a vignette for this shot.

I downloaded a vignette plug-in from Nukepidia, but then I found that the vignette actually makes the highlights in the four corners more pronounced. 

e57adf460f9d483fa2db03c3e9d022a.png
e7b4ee886cbb4224b51ef2ba5733e9c.png
46bc9823638f3b5f3830c01f30cc7f9.png

Then I downloaded another vignette to compare. Finally, I got the effects I wanted.

4100e8bc0b4b66ecb5bb57dadb7212f.png
ae3d55d24c06078287203640848944c.png
Shot 2

Changes: remade the roto for light on because the resolution changed

                  stronger depth of field

                  keyframed focal point 

                  added vignette 

                  move the object to the center

I don't like the glow effect, which is not soft enough at the edge and that may be because I added it before Roto. So I moved that stage to the very end and used a bloom node.

before

7b81b652b4f103c422dea8fadf3cbdd.png

after

6029dd9d132414ab6bb19caa53fb29a.png
2d91b5fbf21d4acb735473bcbf38397.png
ab43565512b6e57ad9fe6afc5a2eedc.png

Current Shot

a9dabc6682b58eb6267e652f5782eb0.png
Shot 4

There was a flashing blur line on the edge of the speaker when I added Zdepth node. With the help of professor Bridget, we found that we could avoid this problem by simply rendering the object and the background together.

before

2ddc1a75507afea9a6798bc1a2f5c09.png

after

42802c5e8d0be5f5641ad8ef1a6f56d.png

As for the smoke in the background, I split the alpha of the speaker, and make smoke minus it.

5c638dab94f632621524b6958fccf11.png

-

68fdd96045f479efd05ea2bc87c90cd.png

=

e853726a41f331bf09a5e82078e2fad.png
49888c84a6e838795dd551b74fd7f11.png
1b705b8306ac8fb1f43d00eccd390fe.png
Shot 5

In this shot, the stone is so bright that the speaker does not stand out enough, and the height of the stone should be adjusted to below the speaker. So I worked with Ethan to modify this shot.

Previous Version

a26173a9a2f0ae98b04a22a80be94e2.png

Lower the rocks

Moved the main light in front of the subject

Weaken top light

Kept the U shape of the contour line of the rocks

changed the main light into three spotlights

made the background more rocky

01dd9c16752ff448d2aff59aac8114c_edited.jpg
0b0ff44f8bef608feefa10fd63a4ad6.png

Since the render files in 4k are too big, we decided to render one plate with cryptomatte. Then I can pick the matte I want at cryptomatte and make it as a mask to adjust the specific area.

898e2b943b6d205a249d399582b5113.png

Picked subject in cryptomatte

77538fca22744c2034be20fa478b78d.png

Alpha matte

d4d40621a19ef53320e548b8e75ce1b.png

But then I found the defocus issue that I cannot fix in the mask of cryptomatte. So we decided to rerender it in three layers.

0267fa4be8eeea9836fd8346935584e.png

When I got the render, I found that the shadow on the pedestal was incorrect, so I used cryptomatte and the previous render to fix this problem.

image (1).png
a71696d648b3e185afe5b99527d60f0.png

There are two highlights on the top edge of the pedestal which is wired. Also, there are many noisy reflections on the floor. Then I used Roto to remove the highlight and reflections to clean the shot.

88cff92ea377a019fd662dc7409a8dd.png
0785739198c3ba6202153d6b7628bac.png
a5c60e409aa7a2900531db7347ed678.png

Then I put some fog and smoke footage to enhance the atmosphere. 

e2a4b11ea9243abd92e49b66912bef8.png
e268073f8fb756cd43227ea6fa3ea21.png
66d633ce76d45b5275735cbc6f9dd33.png

Adjusted brightness and color. Added bloom and vignette.

Here is the comparison before and after compositing.

before

22cc9e8851b92300db253e0fed5f637.png

after

205da80d7313ec053cededacba3f077.png

Node Tree

f9586aacbc4561d4411e40b882ead95.png
Color Grading

I imported each shot into Davinci to make color corrections so that the whole video could be unified. Each shot had at least two color nodes. The first one was made for white and black points, and the second one was made for color and saturation.

0920c3f35e3c4e95f445e7bb142faac.png
2dd9a6f7047798352472e1cb07223b8.png

I have carefully compared and referred to the waveform chart of each shot when I was color grading to ensure that the black and white values and color phases of each shot are similar.

Untitled_1.1.3.jpg
88bccd08c9f03adfbbd30bfa1cbfb8e.png
Untitled_1.2.1.jpg
df83719d2f34a25565dbc67694efa88.png
Untitled_1.3.1.jpg
7eb9f7dfb2c224884c7b3ad3efa9e96.png
Untitled_1.4.1.jpg
02f9cfd0ced641b22fcbe20eb0f6b4b.png
1_1.5.1.jpg
fd5ab7a0a04be23ba3224ebf01f1811.png
bottom of page